Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Jabberwocky," Lewis Carroll

"Jabberwocky"

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

7 comments:

  1. The poem's diction contains exotic and unique language to convey a sense of imagination. I love the imaginary creatures in this poem and it brings me back to the time where I use to draw imaginary things. The idea of imagination is truly captured by the "Jabberwock" and his "jaws that bite" and the "claws that catch."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the unique feel the imagery words give the poem such as the expression of joy in "Callooh Callay." Because of the diction, the Jabberwock does not sound to intimating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem describes the movie Alice in Wonderland so well. I know that it is from the book but still. If someone had not seen or heard of the story, I think this poem describes it perfectly, it has a great imaginative feel. The made up words add to it's playfulness and adventure. I am confused on one thing though, the title is Jabberwocky but in the poem they only say Jabberwock, which is correct? Or do they mean different things?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem is very imaginative. With the made up words and the many exotic animals. Overall a very good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem is so fun with all of the made-up words, but relatable storyline. I can imagine my uncle reading this to my younger cousins to scare them, but in a Dr. Seuss sort of manner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is not the deep, serious poetry we're used to reading on The Lunch Bunch. This poem uses a whimsical vocabulary, a chimerical plot, and cookie-cutter characters. Well, maybe the Jabberwock is a symbol for... nah. It's all so odd that you can't really analyze its literary aspects. I guess it's just a "fun" poem.

    ReplyDelete