Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Morning," Mary Oliver

Morning

Salt shining behind its glass cylinder.
Milk in a blue bowl. The yellow linoleum.
The cat stretching her black body from the pillow.
The way she makes her curvaceous response to the small, kind gesture.
Then laps the bowl clean.
Then wants to go out into the world
where she leaps lightly and for no apparent reason across the lawn,
then sits, perfectly still, in the grass.
I watch her a little while, thinking:
what more could I do with wild words?
I stand in the cold kitchen, bowing down to her.
I stand in the cold kitchen, everything wonderful around me.

5 comments:

  1. I love the way the author is able to make you imagine what the cat is doing with such simple lines. It is easy to relate to the poem and feel what the author feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oliver's dainty diction depicts the delicacy of nature, specifically through the eyes of a human. Oliver describes salt "shining behind its glass cylinder." She describes the overall scene of a meal and also the outside world. She "leaps lightly for no apparent reason across the lawn." Her graceful descriptions of the beauty of the outdoors alludes to her immense love for nature. She appears to have a passion for the true natures and details of everyday life. Oliver's careful diction alludes to her continuous passion for nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The speaker in this poem is very content: "I stand in the cold kitchen, everything wonderful around me." The speaker is content because of the cat and how the cat is acting. Overall a great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy this poem. The imagery this poem dipicts of the black cat is simply soothing. When reading this poem I feel calmed and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The simplicity of this poem makes it much easier to comprehend from all sources. The meaning of the poem is transferred to the reader from such simple words which is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete